Published October 19, 1999
Volume 7, Number 10
Get Connected and Stay Connected on Make a Difference Day, October 23
Mark your calendar for Saturday, October 23, when national Make a Difference Day comes to Pleasanton. Last year, over 6,000 people participated locally and this year offers another opportunity to "get connected" by participating in a Make a Difference Day activity and "stay connected" by participating in community service activities throughout the year.
This marks the eighth year for the event, which was founded by the Points of Light foundation and USA Weekend magazine.
Part of this year's event will be the "Festival of the Family," which takes place from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Pleasanton Public Library. The festival will offer information about a number of community organizations that can make great use of volunteer help. There will also be a food and clothing drive conducted at the event for items to be distributed via the Valley Community Health Center's Family Crisis Services.
That's not all that will be available at the library, however. The Pleasanton Art League and Pleasanton Cultural Arts Council will join forces to offer art projects for children and their parents, as well as seeking donations of art supplies for families in need.
The Assistance League of Amador Valley will be on hand for those who wish to "adopt" new books to be distributed to the needy. The Pleasanton Unified School District will also be collecting "Bucks for Books" in order to stock the libraries at the two new schools opening next fall.
A number of other community groups will be participating as well.
Anyone interested in sponsoring a Make a Difference Day project is invited to contact Jerri Long of the Pleasanton Unified School District at (925) 426-4304 or via e-mail.
Also in this issue ...
- DBN "Netsourcing" Coming to Hacienda
- Formac is Making Macs Think Faster
- Business Bits
- Executive Profile — Barbara Forsberg, Robert Half International, Inc.
- Transdyn Engineer Helps Bring Robotics to High School
- Hacienda Holiday Food Drive Kicks Off Soon
- Pleasanton's Beautiful Downtown Offers Shopping, Restaurants, Atmosphere
- EDD's CalJobs Offers Free WWW Job Listings Site
- Get Connected and Stay Connected on Make a Difference Day, October 23
- PSEE Seeks to Aid Art Education in Local Schools
- Hacienda Index