Published May 16, 2000
Volume 8, Number 5
- Commerce One, Inc. has completed the move of its worldwide corporate headquarters to Hacienda. With approximately 280,000 square feet of office space in three buildings, the facility is a significant increase from the former 34,000 square-foot building in Walnut Creek.
Commerce One employs approximately 1,110 people, an increase of approximately 500 percent from January 1999, and maintains 15 satellite sales offices in North America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
- BellSouth Corporation and SBC Communications Inc. announced they are combining their U.S. wireless operations, creating a new company to compete nationwide in the wireless voice and data businesses. The new company will be the second largest wireless carrier in the United States, serving 16.2 million subscribers and reaching 175 million potential customers from coast to coast. The companies will share joint and equal control of the combined entity.
- GTE Corp. awarded grants totaling $1,050,000 to 140 math and science teachers selected from 40 states. The grants are part of GTE's Growth Initiatives for Teachers (GIFT) program to strengthen math and science education in grades 6-12. Grants were awarded for the 2000-2001 school year.
- Lucent Technologies will provide speech software to BART that will allow visually-impaired riders to hear train announcements and the hearing impaired to read them. The system uses technology developed by Bell Labs, called Text-to-Speech (TTS) software. With the new technology, BART will be able to enhance its compliance of the American's with Disabilities Act of 1999 (ADA).
- Intira Corporation announced that it won a three-year, $1.2 million contract to provide netsourcing services to support the rapid growth of OnlineChoice.com, an Internet-based company that allows consumers nationwide to maximize their buying power by joining free, no-obligation buying pools to get lower rates on vital services.
- Paychex, Inc. is expanding its mid-sized payroll processing capabilities to serve companies in Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Cleveland, Houston, Long Island, Minneapolis, Orlando and Philadelphia. Paychex Major Market Services serves the payroll needs of businesses with more than 50 employees.
Also in this issue ...
- Mallinckrodt Offers Breakthrough Technology
- Visioneer Sees its Future in Hacienda
- Business Bits
- Executive Profile — Jim Buxton, Buxton Consulting
- At the Tone, the Time will be Announced by Electronic Tele-Communications
- City of Pleasanton Economic Vitality Committee Develops and Manages Area Economic Strategic Plan
- It's More Important than Ever to Help Spare the Air this Summer
- Youth Master Plan Group Seeks Business Input
- Special Olympics Says "Tip-A-Cop" at Fundraising Event
- Hacienda Index