Volume 11, Number 8
Lawyer in the Library Counsels Participants One-on-One
Rhetorical or practical, just about everyone has questions about the law on occasion. Anybody who has sought out legal council, however, knows that it generally is not inexpensive no matter what the issue. Fortunately, anyone with legal questions can benefit from the Pleasanton Public Library’s “Lawyer in the Library” program, where you can ask an attorney legal questions relating to your business, personal, or other issues free of charge.
As a part of their community outreach efforts, the Alameda County Bar Association offers this free service on a monthly basis at different libraries in the area. Lawyer in the Library at the Pleasanton Public Library takes place on the fourth Tuesday of each month between 5:30 pm and 7:30 pm. “It’s on a first-come-first-served basis,” says Nancy Johnson, senior librarian in charge of young adult, adult services, and senior outreach programming at the Library. “We start a waiting list at 5:00 pm, but often people get here as early as 4:00 pm. Usually, each person’s session lasts around 20-minutes, so they can usually fit about six people in.”
The lawyers, who volunteer their time to perform the free service, are available to answer general legal questions for anyone who is interested. While there is no restriction on the kind of legal advice participants can ask for, the lawyer’s area of expertise is typically not known in advance. If the lawyer feels that the person who’s seeking the information needs additional advice or help, they refer them to the type of lawyer that would best have the experience to serve them. The program has been going on at the Pleasanton Public Library since it became a city library four years ago. The consultations are private and take place in a designated conference room. For more information about the Lawyer in the Library program contact Nancy Johnson at (925) 931-3404.
Also in this issue ...
- Goal Line Backs Fifth Annual California Independent Film Festival
- Test Spectrum West Makes Sure Chips Are Up To Par
- Business Bits
- Executive Profile: Marcy Feit, ValleyCare Health System
- GE Plastics Offers a World of Polymers and Resins for Cutting-Edge Products
- Cost Cutters Offers Convenient, Quality Family Hair Care
- Pleasanton and the Tri-Valley Offer a Full Spectrum of Health Care Resources
- Child Care Links Helps Families Seeking Quality Child Care
- Lawyer in the Library Counsels Participants One-on-One
- SafeAmerica Contributes to Armed Services Relief Effort
- Spare the Air and Win a Great Prize
- Hacienda Index