Volume 12, Number 7
- Polycom has introduced two new products to its industry-leading line of voice- and video-conferencing solutions. The first is the Polycom VSX 8000 series, rack-mountable devices that include expansion options for integrating video communications into large conference rooms or educational settings. On the software side, the company has released Version 7.0 for its Polycom VSX conferencing products. The new software offers the first stereo audio in the industry (Polycom StereoSurround), new integration of a conference phone with a video system for maximum ease of use initiating a video call or adding an audio call to a video meeting, and the first video system support for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), an open standard created by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
- PeopleSoft has introduced PeopleSoft World Express, a comprehensive yet affordable solution for businesses with annual revenues between $20M and $100M. Developed exclusively on the IBM eServer iSeries platform, the new solution includes PeopleSoft World enterprise applications, more than 30 industry-specific business processes, and implementation services from certified channel partners. The new release is available for industrial manufacturers, wholesale distributors, homebuilders, construction companies, and automotive suppliers. “Small businesses typically have very limited IT budget and staff, and require a rapid return on their investment,” said Dave Siebert, general manager and group vice president of PeopleSoft World. “PeopleSoft World Express offers these customers enterprise software quality and functionality while meeting their need for a solution that’s easy to use and maintain.”
- Optillion, specialists in high-speed fiber-optic transceiver technology, has introduced two new products which utilize the 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10 GigE) XENPAK protocol for high-speed data communications: the TOP 8080, which supports the 10GBASE-DWDM standard, and the TOP 5080, which supports the 10GBASE-ZR standard. For applications such as video-on-demand which require quick movement of large amounts of data, these transceivers enable content distribution between cities up to 50 miles apart, offering a cost-effective alternative to high-capacity satellite links and data transport using the OC192 standard. Optillion’s new products provide high-speed serial link signaling at an optical data rate of 10.3 Gbps. “We are very happy to enable low cost Ethernet deployment by expanding our 10GigE pluggable XENPAK family of products with long reach transceivers and DWDM capabilities,” said Optillion CTO Patrik Evaldsson.
- Frost & Sullivan has honored Hacienda’s Ingenico with their Point-of-Sale Systems Technology of the Year Award for Ingenico’s innovative use of the Bluetooth wireless communications protocol. Bluetooth is a wireless technology using short-range radio links to replace the cable(s) connecting portable and/or fixed electronic devices. Bluetooth is a key component of the Pay@Table program being launched by Ingenico to bring the benefits of portable wireless payment technology to the restaurant and hospitality industries. Ingenico’s i7770 and i7780 terminals enable customers to pay at the table or wherever convenient to them. Consumer benefits include a higher level of personal security and reduced opportunity for card skimming. Restaurants and hospitality providers will gain improved wait staff productivity and increased table turn. Ingenico CEO Gerard Compain said, “There are four areas that are critical to successful wireless payment acceptance in retail and restaurant establishments – coverage distance, transmission reliability, security and minimal power consumption. Bluetooth provides optimal performance as compared to traditional Wi-Fi in each of these areas, enabling our customers to deploy terminals in which they will have absolute confidence.”
Also in this issue ...
- ZANTAZ Launches New Archive Tools for Email Management
- Media Lario Expands Optical Component Business into Park
- Business Bits
- Executive Profile: Stephen R. Nord, M.D., Premier COMP Medical Group
- Gatan Makes Electron Microscopes More Powerful Than Ever
- Sakura Gakuen Helps Students Develop, or Maintain, Japanese Language Skills
- Entertainment in the Tri-Valley: From Poetry to Karaoke, There's Something for Everyone
- Over its Six-Year History, the Hacienda Index Reflects the Success of Park Companies
- Child Care Links Offers Free Workshops to Employers
- Discount Tickets to Six Flags Marine World Available to Hacienda Employees
- Hacienda Index