Volume 14, Number 5
Give the Gift of Life May 31 at the Hacienda Blood Drive
May is the 125th Anniversary of the American Red Cross, and CarrAmerica has generously donated space in their facility on Rosewood Drive for a special Hacienda Blood Drive hosted by Hacienda, Jill Buck's Campaign for Good, and the American Red Cross. The drive will run from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 31 at the CarrAmerica Conference Center, 4400 Rosewood Drive.
On any given day, the American Red Cross provides more than over 350 units of blood to Bay Area hospitals. In the Bay Area, patients use more than 126,000 blood and blood products each year. Our Bay Area donors donate just 87,000 of those units. More than 40,000 units from other parts of the U.S. to make up for the units not collected in the Bay Area.
“Our blood supply is critically low in the Bay Area,” says Buck, who started giving blood while on active duty in the Navy. “If we should experience an earthquake or other unexpected disaster, we may not be able to import the blood we need. It’s important that people give blood—you may need it back one of these days.”
The Red Cross supplies blood to 32 hospitals throughout Northern California. Blood has a shelf-life of 42 days, but because the need is urgent in the Bay Area, it typically stays just one to two days on our shelves. You can donate blood every 56 days. One unit of blood can save up to three lives. On average, one out of every three people will need a blood product in their lifetime.
“We’re grateful to Jill for bringing attention to this urgent need,” says Harry Beardsley, account manager for the American Red Cross, Northern Calif. region. “Clearly, she shares our commitment to making sure we have life-saving supplies of blood on hand. She’ll be first in line to give blood on May 31st—she’s leading from the front.”
Hacienda is issuing a challenge to park tenants. All eligible employees and residents are urged to give blood during this special drive. Anyone can participate by signing up at www.BeADonor.com (Sponsor Code: JILL). All participants will receive a 125th Anniversary Red Cross cap, and a chance to win prizes. For additional information contact the Hacienda Owners Association at (925) 734-6500.
Also in this issue ...
- Shaklee Launches "A Million Trees, A Million Dreams" Global Environmental Campaign
- JAN-PRO Moves Regional Headquarters to PleasantonBusiness Bits
- Executive Profile: There are no Shortcuts from Nigeria to America - Or on the Road to Success, says Fabomi Ojuola
- Wunderlich-Malec Engineering Helps Major Northern California Industries Keep Control
- Access Ability Provides Full Range of Access Solutions for People with Restricted Mobility
- Tri-Valley Entertainment Offers Choices from the Sophisticated to the Raucous
- Rideshare Rewards Program Offers New Carpoolers a Cash Bonus
- 49ers Offer Exclusive Ticket Deal for Hacienda Tenants, Residents
- Give the Gift of Life May 31 at the Hacienda Blood Drive
- Come to the Faire Affair, A Celebration for the Children
- WHEELS Pass Renewal
- Hacienda Index