Police Facility Dedicated

Pleasanton's new police station was recently dedicated with a gala open house. Mayor Bob Butler, one of many local dignitaries attending the ceremonies, stated in his official opening remarks that "the development in North Pleasanton helped make this new police station a reality." The money was generated to the city through revenue from property taxes, city fees, and sales taxes from projects like Hacienda Business Park.

The flag was officially raised by color guard members Officers Marc Fabooda, Joe Rose, Todd Almason, and Bob Fracolli. The department will house 44 sworn personnel and 16 full time civilians at the new location, 4833 Bernal Avenue.

From the day Pleasanton was incorporated, in 1894, it has offered its residents police protection. The protection began with the first Town Marshall, a Mr. C. Donnally. The marshall worked alone and was on call at all times. A wooden shack served as the first jail. This was later replaced with a small concrete jail which remarkably lasted until 1968.

As one of the assigned tasks the policemen performed, a bell was rung each night at 9:00 pm. This was to let the townspeople know what time it was and to inform juveniles that it was time to head for home. This bell still exists and is now in front of the city's main fire station on Railroad Avenue.

In 1940, the police department staff increased to two in number. Pleasanton's first two-way radio-equipped patrol vehicle was also purchased in the 1940s. Walter J. McCloud was the first appointed Chief of Police of Pleasanton in 1954. At the time, the city's population was 2,000 and the police department had a force of four men. In 1981 when Chief McCloud retired there were 40 sworn personnel, 12 full time civilians and the city had a population of 35,000.

William E. Eastman was appointed Chief of Police on July 1, 1981.

To see a reproduction of the original article and edition of Pleasanton Pathways, visit: January 1, 1984 Pathways.

Share this page!