Volume 13, Number 12
- InnerWorkings, a company headquartered in Hacienda with R&D offices in Dublin, Ireland, has been honored with the prestigious David Manley award for Most Inspiring Emerging Business in 2005. The company was awarded this prize for its pioneering work in creating software that measures the capabilities of software developers, allowing for more efficient analysis of their learning and performance.
The David Manley award program is open to emerging companies with an innovative product or service that can demonstrate clear business success. The program is inspired by the work of the late David Manley, a Dublin businessman known for his commitment to fostering and developing emerging companies. Companies participating in the award program are judged on the basis that their solutions are innovative and capable of adding value to the Irish economy. As the winner of this award, InnerWorkings receives a prize fund worth nearly $100,000. The prize was recently presented to Francis McKeagney, CEO of InnerWorkings, at a Dublin Chamber of Commerce reception.
- Actor Michael Douglas, using videoconferencing technology from Polycom, hosted a discussion for the international educational organization Global Nomads Group (GNG) during International Education Week, November 13–19. The video conference focused on Douglas’ experiences with former child soldiers of Sierra Leone and his work as a United Nations Messenger of Peace. GNG’s PULSE program is a videoconferencing series sponsored by Polycom that educates young Americans about the global issues of our time. Past PULSE sessions include videoconferences on the December 2004 Tsunami and the war in Iraq.
“Sierra Leone was an eye opening experience and one which I will never forget,” said Douglas. “I feel truly blessed for the life we are able to provide for our children here in the west and at the same time I know how much we need to help those people who are less fortunate and caught in these terrible circumstances. Educating our youth is an important start.”
High school students from New Jersey, Minnesota, and Washington State participated in the video conference along with Douglas.
- Hacienda’s AdventNet has released a Free Edition of NetFlow Analyzer, its popular bandwidth monitoring software that utilizes Cisco’s NetFlow product. This new release is targeted to interest small and medium businesses which need to account for bandwidth usage across a relatively small network. The Free Edition can analyze and report on NetFlow data collected from a maximum of two sources. Apart from this, the Free Edition offers all the features of the Professional Edition of the software.
“Independent of size, the bandwidth monitoring needs of small enterprises are very similar to that of their larger counterparts. Most small businesses should find the new Free Edition suitable for their current bandwidth monitoring needs,” said Raghunandhan Ramanujam, product manager. “As their infrastructure expands over time, they have the option of upgrading to the Professional Edition without losing data,” he added.
- Pronto Networks, a Hacienda-based provider of operations support systems for managing large-scale, broadband wireless networks, has entered into a global reseller agreement with Lucent Technologies. Under the agreement, Lucent’s Worldwide Services division will resell Pronto Networks’ complete line of products and services in markets around the world. Pronto Networks’ products are used to enable the rapid and cost-effective deployment of Wi-Fi networks to service providers targeting business and municipal markets.
“This agreement is a win-win for both companies as well as a win for network operators,” said Jasbir Singh, president and CEO of Pronto Networks. “Pronto’s leading technology, expertly deployed and enhanced by Lucent’s top-notch professional services, provide operators a world-class, comprehensive solution.”
Also in this issue ...
- Steelwedge Software Poised for Growth at Hacienda
- Elite Auto Network Helps Clients Navigate Auto Purchases
- Business Bits
- Executive Profile: Jim Vogt, Trapeze Networks
- CarrAmerica Conference Center Hosts Meetings and Events at Hacienda
- Hacienda Office Brings Dreyer's Ice Cream to Grocery Stores, Restaurants
- Hacienda Services Guide
- Tri-Valley Science & Engineering Fair Offers Students, Businesses a Chance to Interact with LLNL
- American Stroke Association's "Train to End Stroke" Offers a Unique Opportunity for Groups of Runners, Walkers
- Tri-Valley Foundation, Assistance League Team to Provide School Clothes for Area Children
- 511 Rideshare. Way to Go!
- Hacienda Index