Volume 15, Number 2
- Hacienda’s Polycom, best known for their star-shaped conference call phones and a host of other collaborative communication solutions, has signed a definitive agreement to acquire SpectraLink, a publicly-traded firm which specializes in workplace wireless telephony. The $220 million purchase, which has been approved by the boards of directors of both companies, is expected to close in the second quarter of 2007.
“The SpectraLink acquisition extends Polycom’s leading IP-based collaboration solution to the rapidly-growing mobility environment,” says Robert Hagerty, Chairman and CEO of Polycom. “Our customers are demanding wireless solutions in the enterprise and in the vertical markets we serve. Leveraging our proven strength in Polycom voice over IP (VoIP) solutions, we believe this combination yields the key strategic synergy of uniquely positioning Polycom as the only independent provider of both fixed and mobile solutions that seamlessly encompass voice, video, and data collaboration solutions from the desktop, to the meeting room, to the mobile individual.
- ”Trapeze Networks wireless LAN (WLAN) Mobility System has been chosen for deployment by Avans College in the Netherlands for its 18 academies and three support services across three towns, supporting over 18,000 students. The Trapeze technology will provide Avans College with a WLAN with support for laptops, PDAs and the university’s Voice over wireless LAN (VoWLAN) plans for the future.
“We are pleased Avans College has found Trapeze’s proven functionality in WLAN products and domain expertise to be a significant competitive differentiator,” says Jim Vogt, Trapeze president and CEO. “This win is yet another example of our growing market position in the higher education market segment.
- ”Roche Diagnostics has submitted its Biological License application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the cobas TaqScreen WNV Test, which is designed to detect West Nile Virus in donated blood and plasma. The agency will review the application to determine whether the test can be marketed in the U.S.
West Nile Virus is transmitted to humans most often through mosquito bites, but can also be transmitted by transfusion of infected blood or blood products. Most people infected with West Nile Virus never show signs of illness, or recover completely after experiencing several days of flu-like symptoms, but others (especially those with compromised immune systems) can suffer serious and in some cases life threatening reactions.
“We are very pleased to have worked closely with 14 U.S. clinical trial sites, which screen blood from a network of more than 100 donation centers, to address this important public health concern,” said Daniel O’Day, head of Roche Molecular Diagnostics. “Their clinical expertise and personal dedication to ensuring a safe blood supply in a highly time-sensitive environment has contributed to development of a test that can help blood centers across the U.S. prevent further transmission of this potentially deadly virus.
- ”Hacienda’s Individual Software has released two new computer training courses: Professor Teaches Windows Vista and Professor Teaches Microsoft Office 2007. These new courses are designed to build a user’s computer skills quickly and easily so they can unlock the power of Windows Vista and Office 2007 to improve their productivity at home, work, and school.
“By being the first major brand of computer training available for Windows Vista and Office 2007 in retail stores, we help consumers be the first to master the new features of Microsoft’s applications,” says Jo-L Hendrickson, Individual’s president and CEO. “Our customers gain an advantage by updating their computer skills quickly so they can more rapidly take advantage of the productivity gains promised by these new applications.”
Also in this issue ...
- Robert Half International Expands Hacienda Presence
- Healthcare, Biotech Industries Depend on Altamont Solutions
- Business Bits
- Executive Profile: Kim Fox: A Lifetime Commitment to Women's Wellness
- Agilent Technologies Measures Up
- Adecco Serves Multiple Industries' Staffing Needs
- Economic Vitality = Quality of Life
- Register Now for Pleasanton's Poetry, Prose and Arts Festival
- Discount Northstar and Sierra Lift Tickets Available Online
- Tri-Valley One-Stop Career Center Helps Local Businesses Meet Employment Needs
- Hacienda Index