Published October 20, 2015
Volume 23, Number 10
Resources Abound for Tri-Valley Home Buyers, Renters
By Jay Hipps
Its wonderful climate, cultural richness, thriving business community, quality schools, and comprehensive transit infrastructure make Pleasanton and the Tri-Valley one of the most desirable places to live in the Bay Area. Whether you are looking to rent or buy, there are a host of resources available to make the process of finding your next home easier.
Between homes, townhomes, and apartments, nearly 1,700 different housing options exist within Hacienda itself, and there are more on the way. As part of a mixed-use, transit-oriented development close to BART, Essex Property Trust is constructing 251 apartments at Hacienda and Gibraltar drives (Galloway at Hacienda) and another 255 units at Owens Drive and Willow Road (Galloway at Owens), with initial availability targeted for April, 2016. The Residences at California Center, a sustainably designed apartment community consisting of 305 units paired with 7,500 square feet of retail, has been approved for construction at Owens and Rosewood drives, and later this year construction will commence on a new 94-unit for-sale residential community on W. Las Positas Boulevard from Summerhill Homes.
The latest development to arrive is Anton Hacienda (5729 W. Las Positas Boulevard, (925) 251-1800, www.antonhacienda.com), a 168-unit luxury rental complex. Leasing recently began on the one to three bedroom units, which feature stainless steel appliances, quartz countertops, wide plank flooring, balconies, and garages, as well as community amenities like a resort-style pool with built-in cabanas, a barbecue area, spa, playground, club room, and a fully-equipped gym with exercise studio.
Also among Hacienda’s existing housing, you will find four separate projects from Signature Properties, a firm headquartered in the park that also developed Pleasanton’s acclaimed Ruby Hill community. Signature’s first project in Hacienda was Verona, a 140-unit complex of two- to four-bedroom townhomes at the corner of W. Las Positas Boulevard and Stoneridge Drive. The other three developments--Siena, Avila, and Valencia—offer a range of two- to five-bedroom homes and two- to four-bedroom townhomes. All are located at the intersection of Hacienda Drive and Gibraltar Drive (North). Each Signature complex has a recreation area featuring a pool and cabana as well as access to Hacienda’s linear park and the regional Iron Horse Trail.
The 540 units at Park Hacienda (5700 Owens Drive, (925) 398-7368, www.equityapartments.com) come equipped with a long list of features. Each apartment has luxury appointments including ceramic tile entries, high ceilings, built-in computer desks, walk-in closets, and an in-home washer and dryer. All are just a five minute walk to BART. A 24-hour fitness center, two pools, and two spas are among the amenities. The one-, two-, and three-bedroom units range in size from approximately 800 to 1,300 square feet.
Springhouse Apartments (5500 Springhouse Drive, (925) 847-9438, www.springhousepleasanton.com) is a complex of 354 units ranging from one-bedroom apartments to two-bedroom townhouses, all providing the comfort and amenities of home. All units have washers and dryers and air conditioning. Many of the apartments, and all of the townhouses, have fireplaces. Apartments range from 570 to 990 square feet; townhouses, from 750 to 1,015 square feet. Nestled in a park-like setting, the complex offers an onsite fitness center, a heated year-round pool and hot tub, and covered parking.
Home Buying Resources in Hacienda
Whether you are looking for a real estate professional to help find the ideal home or an institution to assist with the purchase and financing, these Hacienda businesses can assist.
Real Estate Firms
- Better Homes and Gardens (4733 Chabot Drive, Suite 100, (925) 463-9500, www.bhghome.com/pleasanton) consists of a group of real estate professionals who specialize in residential sales. Their experience allows them to quickly and accurately assess the true value of a property—a benefit to buyers and sellers. Access the company’s web site to search homes for sale, research schools and the local community, learn housing trends, sign up to receive Property Alerts, find an agent, and more.
- Century 21 Tower Realty (5980 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 106, (925) 416-4989, www.century21.com) offers buyers and sellers exclusive real estate brokerage services through a strong social media, online, and print media presence. Century 21 has earned the rank as the largest and most recognized brand name real estate franchise in the world. Services are available in both English and Korean.
- Coldwell Banker (5980 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 122, (925) 847-2200, www.californiamoves.com) combines talented sales associates with an exclusive marketing system to meet or exceed clients’ expectations. The company’s advertising and public relations campaigns are designed to create a strategic marketing plan for both buyers and sellers, providing an advantage over traditional techniques.
- EI Real Estate (4695 Chabot Drive, Suite 116, (925) 337-1800, www.dcwei.com) stands for Experience and Integrity. Broker DC Wei holds an MBA from Cal Poly and has sold more than $200 million in real estate since becoming a full-time agent in 2003. He was recognized as a Five Star Real Estate Professional by Diablo Magazine in 2012 and 2013 and has received a Pinnacle or Grand Master Award from the Bay East Association of Realtors annually since 2004.
- Fortune Express Real Estate Investments (4695 Chabot Drive, Suite 200, (925) 319-7888, www.fortuneinvest.com) offers Bay Area commercial and residential real estate as well as financial services. The company offers free home evaluations to prospective sellers as well as an electronic New Listings Notification service. Services are available in both English and Chinese.
- Intero Real Estate Services (5960 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 101, (925) 621-6200, www.interorealestate.com), an affiliate of Berkshire Hathaway, was founded in 2002 and has quickly become one of the premier real estate brands in the U.S. In 2004, Intero Franchise Services Inc. began franchising and currently is operating in many of the western states. In 2009, Intero International Franchise Services, LLC embarked on developing territories in Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, Africa, and the Americas.
- J. Rockcliff Realtors (5075 Hopyard Road, Suite 110, (925) 251-2500, www.rockcliff.com) specializes in buying and selling residential real estate from offices in Pleasanton, Lafayette, Walnut Creek, and four separate locations in Danville. One of the top real estate companies in gross sales in the East Bay, the firm’s Rockcliff Resorts division specializes in resort properties in locations both around the country and around the world. J. Rockcliff Realtors also offers extensive corporate relocation services.
- Keller Williams Tri-Valley Realty (5994 W. Las Positas Blvd., Suite 100, (925) 397-4200, www.kwtrivalley.com) is part of the Keller Williams Realty Inc. network, the largest real estate franchisee company in North America with over 700 offices and 90,000 associates around the world. The company has made a significant investment in technology in recent years, resulting in both mobile apps for consumers and “eEdge,” a single platform which allows agents to create custom marketing and sales material, manage their listings and web site, and facilitate online completion of transactions with an online portal for clients.
- Legacy Real Estate (4637 Chabot Drive, Suite 115, (925) 621-1200, www.legacyrealestateassociates.com) has offices in Pleasanton, Fremont, Livermore, and San Jose to meet the needs of homebuyers and sellers. Founded in 1971 by Bill Aboumrad, the company is now headed by Bill Aboumrad, Jr., who is continuing his father’s traditions and ethics, including a creative approach to problem solving and a genuine desire to be kind and gracious. In 2014, the company was recognized as number one in both Alameda County and the Tri-Cities, the 11th largest residential real estate firm in the Bay Area, the fifth largest residential real estate firm in the East Bay, and as number 149 of the top 500 brokers in the country.
- New Cal Realty (4780 Chabot Drive, Suite 120, (925) 249-2400, www.newcalrealty.com) is one of the leading real estate firms in California, catering to buyers and sellers in the Bay Area and Central Valley. They take great pride in their ability to offer excellent real estate services. They are a full-service real estate company and specialize particularly in real estate purchases and sales as well as real estate portfolio management.
- Realty World – Acclaim (4695 Chabot Drive, Suite 200, (925) 558-2754, www.rwacclaim.com) is headed by broker/owner Michael Valentine, a bilingual (English and Korean) professional with expertise in conventional transactions as well as short sales and bank-owned properties. An experienced real estate investor, he also helps buyers find suitable residential investment properties.
- Redfin (4670 Willow Road, Suite 150, (877) 973-3346, www.redfin.com) is an innovative real estate firm operating in 31 states and the District of Columbia with an emphasis on intelligent use of technology and customer satisfaction. Redfin’s agents are advocates, not salespeople, who earn customer-satisfaction bonuses rather than commissions. The company’s web site, at redfin.com, features all the broker-listed homes for sale, as well as for-sale-by-owner properties that don't pay brokers a commission.
- Re/Max Accord (5950 Stoneridge Drive, (925) 847-8900, www.remaxaccord.com) assists buyers and sellers in all residential transactions, including traditional, distressed, and foreclosure properties, from eight offices throughout the East Bay. The firm’s approach utilizes market knowledge to price homes correctly, negotiating for the best deal, and managing details like inspections, appraisals, and other details. Property searches are available worldwide as part of the RE/MAX network, which has operations in more than 85 countries.
- StarRiver Realty (5890 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 216, (925) 223-6049, www.starriverinc.com) offers a unique combination of services that combines both real estate and mortgage services under one roof. Borrowers can get preapproved and get expert assistance in finding the right piece of residential or small commercial property to buy, sell, or lease, all with the same company.
- United Pacific Realty (4637 Chabot Drive, Suite 118, (925) 202-2806, www.unitedpacificrealty.metrolistpro.com) and owner Steven Scott provide clients access to the MetroList Multiple Listing Service, the largest MLS in Northern California. Its inventory of thousands of homes for sale works to provide sellers with the maximum sale price possible and buyers with the most value for their money.
- Venture Sotheby’s International Realty (5880 W. Las Positas Boulevard, Suite 34, (925) 359-9600, www.venturesir.com) represents some of the finest properties in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. By combining local expertise with international exposure, the company’s associates are able to provide clients with the level of service expected from a company whose name has been synonymous with quality and elegance for over 270 years.
- Windermere Select Properties (4637 Chabot Drive, Suite 108, (925) 551-3040, pleasanton.withwre.com) is a full-service real estate brokerage and part of a network of over 300 offices and 7,000 agents based primarily in the Western United States and British Columbia, Canada. Windermere’s experts have experience with all areas of real estate, from starter homes to condos, luxury properties, and new construction.
Title Insurance and Escrow Services
- Cornerstone Title Company (5990 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 119, (925) 750-1050, www.cornerstonetitleco.com)
- Fidelity National Title (4683 Chabot Drive, Suite 150, (925) 730-2080, www.fidelityeastbay.com)
- Fidelity National Title Group (5976 W. Las Positas Boulevard, Suite 124, (925) 225-7904, www.fntg.com)
- First American Title (4750 Willow Road, Suite 100, (925) 225-2600, www.firstam.com)
- Pacific Coast Title (4637 Chabot Drive, Suite 105, (925) 251-1050, www.pacificcoasttitle.com)
- 1st United Services Credit Union (5901 Gibraltar Drive, (800) 364-0296, www.1stuscu.org)
- Axia Home Loans (5990 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 122, (925) 400-6230, pleasanton.axiahomeloans.com)
- Chase (4747 Hopyard Road, Suite 01, (925) 460-9251, www.chase.com)
- Cherry Creek Mortgage Company (4301 Hacienda Drive, Suite 120, (925) 828-7057, www.cherrycreekloans.com)
- Diversified Capital Funding (5075 Hopyard Road, Suite 120, (925) 224-8777, www.divcap.net)
- Home Trust Mortgage Corporation (4637 Chabot Drive, Suite 106, (925) 847-8800)
- Jacinto Mortgage Group (5674 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 112, (925) 227-8889, www.jacintomortgage.com)
- Onward Mortgage (4309 Hacienda Drive, Suite 490, (925) 391-1570, www.onwardmortgage.com)
- Pacific City Bank (4695 Chabot Drive, Suite 200, (925) 558-2736, www.paccitybank.com)
- Patelco Credit Union (4515 Rosewood Drive, Suite 800, (800) 358-8228, www.patelco.org)
- Premier Mortgage Planning (3825 Hopyard Road, Suite 101, (925) 227-0300, www.premiermtgplan.com)
- Prospect Mortgage, LLC (5960 Stoneridge Drive, Suite 200, (925) 363-7255, www.myprospectmortgage.com/SSeidler)
- Provident Bank Mortgage (5934 Gibraltar Drive, Suite 102, (925) 621-2640, www.pbmwholesale.com)
- SafeAmerica Credit Union (6001 Gibraltar Drive, (800) 972-0999, www.safeamerica.com)
- Stonegate Mortgage Company (5976 W. Las Positas Boulevard, Suite 200, (925) 750-6980, www.stonegatemtg.com)
- Union Bank of California (4747 Hopyard Road, Suite 02, (925) 460-2740, www.unionbank.com)
- United Lending Partners, Inc. (4234 Hacienda Drive, Suite 110, (888) 316-4947, www.unitedlendingpartners.com)
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage (5075 Hopyard Road, Suite 200, (925) 251-4302, wellsfargo.com/mortgage)
- K Hovnanian Homes (5976 W. Las Positas Boulevard, Suite 118, (925) 398-8609, www.khov.com)
- Signature Homes (4670 Willow Road, Suite 200, (925) 463-1122, www.sighomes.com)
- Standard Pacific Homes (4750 Willow Road, Suite 150, (925) 847-8700, www.standardpacifichomes.com)
- Taylor Morrison (4309 Hacienda Drive, Suite 450, www.taylormorrison.com)
Help for Buyers, Renters
There are multiple resources for prospective home owners and renters when it comes to finding a place to live. Whether the need is informational or financial, these special assistance programs can be a critical aid.
Tri-Valley Housing Opportunity Center (TVHOC): The TVHOC seeks to strengthen communities by providing education and services that build financial well-being and promote housing opportunities for individuals and families throughout the region. Supported by the cities of Dublin, Livermore, Pleasanton, San Ramon and the Town of Danville as well as the Tri-Valley Community Foundation, the TVHOC is a HUD approved housing counseling agency serving the Tri-Valley region that offers residents expert, unbiased, and personalized information to guide them through the complex process of home-seeking, home-buying, or saving the home they already own. The TVHOC offers a broad array of educational resources on topics that include budgeting, understanding credit, below market rate home ownership opportunities, foreclosure prevention, and more. One-on-one counseling is also offered to potential home buyers as well as to homeowners at risk of foreclosure. Services are also available for Spanish speakers. For additional information, call (925) 373-3130 or visit www.tvhoc.org. Beyond their contribution to the TVHOC, the City of Pleasanton is also involved with programs for both buyers and renters.
Pleasanton Home Ownership Assistance Program (PHAP): Since 1992, this program has worked to assist first-time home buyers in overcoming the obstacle of high local housing costs to be able to purchase homes in Pleasanton. The purchase of PHAP homes has generally been restricted to owner-occupant, first-time home buyers. To ensure continued affordability over time, PHAP homes include restrictions controlling the maximum sale price and maximum income of subsequent buyers when the homes are resold. PHAP homes represent a variety of housing types which have been sold at several different affordability levels. Working with local housing developers, over 120 below-market priced homes have been constructed to date. Information on current opportunities for the purchase of below-market rate homes is available through the TVHOC or the City of Pleasanton Housing Division, (925) 931-5007.
Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC) program: Additional assistance is available through the MCC program. Using an MCC, income-eligible first-time home buyers have the opportunity to reduce the amount of federal income tax they owe each year they own and live in their home. The MCC assists a family in qualifying for a higher first mortgage, with no effect on monthly expenses. The MCC program is coordinated in Pleasanton by the Alameda County Housing and Community Development (HCD) office in cooperation with the City of Pleasanton. Interested applicants can contact the HCD office at (510) 670-5946 or via the website at www.acgov.org/cda/hcd/homeownership/mccprogram/.
Below-Market Rental (BMR) Housing Opportunities: Nearly 1,000 below-market rental apartment units have been built since the mid-1980s. BMR units are available to qualifying renters in Hacienda at both Park Hacienda and Anton Hacienda, with additional units slated for the new units mentioned under Hacienda Homes above. Additional BMR units are located throughout the city. For details on the BMR program, go to www.cityofpleasantonca.gov/resident/housing/rentals/belowmarket.asp. Contact the leasing managers directly for information.
Down Payment Assistance Program: Pleasanton has a down payment assistance loan program for low- and moderate-income homebuyers. Assistance is in the form of a low-interest (3.5%) loan up to $20,000 that is amortized over 20 years. Buyers are responsible for obtaining a first mortgage with a CalHFA-approved lender at a fixed interest rate with no negative amortization, balloon payment or adjustable rate features. Call the City of Pleasanton’s Housing Division at (925) 931-5007 or visit www.cityofpleasantonca.gov/resident/housing/homebuyer.asp for more information.
ECHO Housing, a Bay Area nonprofit agency, provides a Rental Assistance Program which can help with move-in costs or helps residents with delinquent rent due to a temporary financial setback. Call (925) 449-7340 or visit www.echofairhousing.org for details.
City of Pleasanton Housing Division: For information on housing programs offered by the City of Pleasanton, including home rehabilitation loans and grants and more, contact Scott Erickson at (925) 931-5007, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.cityofpleasantonca.gov.
Also in this issue...
- First American Title Brings Special Services Office to Park
- AgreeYa Solutions Offers Cloud, Mobile Services and Solutions for Business
- Business Bits
- Gary Drew of Ware Malcomb Finds Success in Designing a Career through Diversity
- JadooTV Delivers South Asian Channels, Movies to Customers Worldwide
- Mangrove's Luxurious Scarves Bring High Fashion to Hacienda
- Resources Abound for Tri-Valley Home Buyers, Renters
- Heart Association's National Eating Healthy Day is a Great Springboard to a Complete Workplace Wellness Program
- The American Red Cross Responds 24/7 on the Strength of its Volunteers
- Ravenswood Historical Site Offers a Gilmpse of Local Life in the Victorian Era
- Hacienda October Index