Volume 14, Number 7
Free E-Waste Recycling Event Coming to Hacienda on August 22
A free opportunity to recycle computers, monitors, and other types of electronic equipment arrives August 22 as Universal Waste Management, Inc. (UWM) comes to Hacienda for a special e-waste pickup day.
Whether you have computer monitors and components, printers, fax machines, copiers and toner cartridges, VCRs, televisions, DVD, CD, or MP3 players, phone equipment, cell phones, or power supplies, UWM will take your unwanted equipment for recycling and appropriate processing, all at no charge.
“We do what is called asset management, meaning that some of the material that comes in will be refurbished and some of it will be broken down into component parts,” says Erin Driscoll of UWM. “None of it will end up in landfills.”
Proper handling of these items is important because electronic equipment contains components that include toxic substances and carcinogens such as lead and arsenic. By keeping this material out of landfills, these efforts help protect natural resources and the water supply. The UWM e-waste recycling program is implemented in part by the California Integrated Waste Management Board.
Although the event will be held in Hacienda, it is open to both park businesses and the general public. Hacienda employees are encouraged to bring recyclable e-waste items from home as well.
“There’s one simple form to fill out, then they just drive through, drop off their items, and go on their way,” adds Driscoll. “It’s pretty simple.”
To participate in the event, simply bring electronic equipment (the location will be announced next issue) between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on August 22. There is no limit to the amount of e-waste you can bring in for recycling, but only electronic equipment will be accepted. Companies that have over 30 pieces of electronics are asked to give a courtesy call to UWM at the number below.
UWM also offers regular pickup services for companies that need to dispose of e-waste on a regular basis. For additional information on UWM’s services or the August 22 event, contact them at (888) 832-9839 or access www.unwaste.com.
Also in this issue ...
- State Compensation Insurance Fund Arrives in Hacienda
- Echopass Expands Partnership with Microsoft
- Business Bits
- Executive Profile: From the Family Business to an Industry Leader, Wally Brown's Career is All About Growth
- It's Christmas in July at ELH Enterprises
- New Spokesperson, New Offices for Sun-Maid Growers
- Hacienda and the Tri-Valley Offer a Host of Health and Wellness Resources
- Free E-Waste Recycling Event Coming to Hacienda on August 22
- Veterans in Need Provide the Focus of East Bay Stand Down Event
- Happy Birthday Wheels! Hacienda's Premier Transportation Partner Turns 20
- Employee Home Ownership Program Focus Group
- Hacienda Index